Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Death of my phone and the first in a new state

SO about two days ago. It decided to rain on us while we were hiking in the middle of the woods and I'm not talking about a thunderstorm where it rains hard for fifteen minutes and then stops this was hours upon hours of it. SO in the morning when it was still doing this we decided we were going to go into town, which was seven miles away. SO we left when it was raining and because of the rain, I decided to listen to some music on my iPhone because my rain jacket had a spot for it. Little did I know that with in half an hour of doing this my phone would die because it was sitting in a pool of water in the pocket that was supposed to keep it out of the water. When we got closer to town it stopped raining. So it had rained basically just long enough to turn my phone into a $400 dollar brick. The town we got to was called Unionville, which is the first town we came across that is in new york. While in town trying to find a place to stays the night we happened to find a number for a man who would let us shower and do laundry at his home. When we called this number it turn out that the offer was for a place to stay and that this aforementioned man was actually the major of Unionville. So for one night we stay at the major's house and were treated to a fine dinner and a very nice breakfast, free of charge. Any way we have gone about another thirty miles since then and today we found a cooler with water and a card with number on it. We called that number and found a nice couple on the other end who have offered us a place to stay the night free of charge as well. I started out thinking that new york was full of a bunch of; pompous, arrogant people who thought they were better then everyone else caused they lived in "the empire state." I have stay say though that new york has some of the nicest people that I have met on the trail so far.

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

that sucks about your phone, i'm sorry!